Przejdź do treści

Authentication (Apostille or Legalization) and Nostrification

Authentication (legalization or apostille) of documents means the affirmation of their authenticity, which gives the legal force outside the borders of the country of issue. The method of legalization depends on the country of origin of your high school diploma.

Nostrification — recognition of a foreign certificate by the Polish Education Office.

You should remember that authentication and nostrification are two different procedures.

Apostille/Legalization must be done in your country (in the country of issue of the diploma) even before enrolling in the Polish-Japanese Academy of Information Technologies.

Nostrification of maturity certificates is approved by The Education office (Kuratorium Oświaty) in Poland. You need to submit it to our Admission Office upon arrival in Poland, before the end of the first semester of study.


The Apostille is a special sign on the official documents issued by the institutions and organizations of the countries-members of “The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents”. It specifies that the document issued in one of the signatory countries can be certified for legal purposes in all the other signatory states. Depending on the country the apostille can be done in a High Court, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, etc.

The seal «Apostille» is placed only on the original documents of the state sample.

Apostille is required for the documents issued in: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Brazil, Chile, China (Hong Kong), Colombia, Georgia, India, Israel, Kazakhstan, Republic of Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Mexico, Mongolia, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkey, Uzbekistan, etc.

The complete list of the countries-members of The Hague Convention can be found at the officoal website.

Poland has signed an agreement abolishing or simplifying the document legalization procedure, you do not need apostilization for the documents from the following countries:

  • EU countries (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Ireland, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, Germany, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Hungary, Italy);
  • EEA countries (Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland);
  • other countries (Ukraine, Belarus, Great Britain, Canada, Australia, United States).


Legalization means the authenticity of signatures on the documents and seals of competent state authorities in case you want to submit and give the legal force to your documents in a foreign country. It is similar to Apostille. But it is used for the affirmation of documents issued in the countries-no-members of the Hague Convention (Bangladesh, Chine, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Cameroon, Morocco, Vietnam, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, etc).

This method of legalization is valid for all countries that are not listed in the link.

The legalization can be done by:

  • Polish consul in the country where the certificate was issued or in the country in which educational system a school operates;
  • educational authorities in the country where a certificate was issued or in the country in which educational system a school operates;
  • an embassy or consulate of the country where a certificate was issued or in the country in which educational system a school operates located in Poland or in other EU, EFTA or OECD country;


The process of recognition of elementary, secondary and higher education is called nostrification.
This is a consent of relevant state Authorities to the legitimacy of the documents on the territory of Poland. The decision on the recognition and equivalence of foreign documents of education in Poland is made by the institution called „Kuratorium Oświaty” (Education Superintendent).

The information describing the nostrification process can be found on the „Kuratorium Oświaty” (Education Superintendent) website.

The nostrification procedure is obligated for all documents except issued in the following countries:

  • certificates issued in countries with which Poland has signed bilateral agreements concerning the recognition of education (Belarus, China, Ukraine);
  • EU countries, EEA, EFTA, OECD ( Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States).
  • IB diplomas (International Baccalaureate) issued by International Baccalaureate Organization in Geneva
  • EB diplomas (European Baccalaureate) issued by European Schools

List of required documents for nostrification:

All the required documents (which are mentioned below) should be delivered to The Education Office in Warsaw in order to get the recognition of the foreign certificate by the Polish Ministry of Education.

  • Completed application form (in Polish).
  • High school diploma with apostille or legalized high school diploma (or any other document confirming graduation abroad).
  • The certificate from the Consulate of the home country in Poland (or from the Ministry of Education), confirming that your high school diploma gives you the right to study at the Universities of your country and/or abroad.
  • High school diploma supplement.
  • Translation of the above-listed documents into Polish (high school diploma, its supplement and the certificate issued by the Consulate (if it was issued not in Polish).
  • Copy of your passport.
  • Other documents requested by the voivodeship education office.

Zainteresowany? Skontaktuj się z nami!

Skontaktuj się z Działem Rekrutacji, aby otrzymać odpowiedzi na wszystkie swoje pytania.