Coordinator: dr hab. Grzegorz Marcin Wójcik, prof. PJATK
Students are learning about techniques of designing and implementing algorithms and tools using artificial neural networks, genetic, evolutionary and ant algorithms, fuzzy sets, decision trees etc. These techniques belong to the area of computer science called computing intelligence, which deals with modeling, learning and solving tasks basing on mechanisms found in nature. Beside data exploration, problems solved by our specialization include issues of management and steering of complex systems (eg. production systems or systems using a large number of mobile robots) and complex optimization problems (eg. planning a flight timetable, or school timetable). Students combine theoretical knowledge with practical problem-solving classes.
The aim is to educate specialists in designing decision systems, systems based on computer analysis of large databases, internet data, tools for searching internet data and solving complex planning and optimization problems.
Sample areas of study:
- Systems supporting decision-making for management, banking, transport and production;
- extraction of useful and understandable data from large data warehouses;
- analysis of multimedia data;
- creating systems on the basis of fuzzy logic;
- building a calculator based on fuzzy numbers;
- building systems for controlling and diagnosis;
- solving complex optimization problems;
- designing systems which use both elements of computer linguistics and intelligent methods of data processing.
Possibilities of using the knowledge in future work
Graduates can work as programmers with experience in designing systems for decision support, using computer analysis of large databases and complex optimization problems. They can be advisors in companies and institutions possessing advanced computer infrastructures.
Sample titles of thesis projects done so far
- Design and implementation of a tool supporting search for phrases in English according to different patterns;
- Identifying people on the basis of biometric data;
- Detecting anomalies in transaction systems;
- Supporting medical diagnosis on the basis of analysis of data from a hospital database;
- System for the analysis and support of investment decision making;
- Analysis of banking operations;
- Analysis of DNA
- Intelligent anti-spam filters;
- Intelligent prediction of website users’ preferences, WWW Salesbot
for an e-shop.
The specialization has a dedicated laboratory equipped with workstations and a cluster of computers for processing large amounts of www-data.